Ginger Ginger is a flowering plant whose rhizome, ginger root or simply ginger, is widely used as a spice or a folk medicine. It is a herbaceous perennial which grows annual stems about a meter tall bearing narrow green leaves and yellow flowers. Ginger is the underground rhizome of the ginger plant with a firm, striated texture. The flesh of the ginger rhizome can be yellow, white or red in color, depending upon the variety. It is covered with a brownish skin that may either be thick or thin, depending upon whether the plant was harvested when it was mature or young. Health benefits of Ginger:
- Maintains Normal Blood Circulation.Ginger contains chromium, magnesium and zinc which can help to improve blood flow, as well as help prevent chills, fever, and excessive sweat.
- Remedies Motion Sickness. Ginger is a known effective remedy for the nausea associated with motion sickness. The exact reason is unknown, but in a study of naval cadets, those given ginger powder suffered less.
- Improves absorption. Ginger improves the absorption and stimulation of essential nutrients in the body. It does this by stimulating gastric and pancreatic enzyme secretion.
- Cold and Flu Prevention.Ginger has been used for thousands of years as a natural treatment for colds and flu around Asia. The University of Maryland Medical Center states that to treat cold and flu symptoms in adults, steep 2 tbsp. of freshly shredded or chopped ginger root in hot water, two to three times a day
- Combats Stomach Discomfort.Ginger is ideal in assisting digestion, thereby improving food absorption and avoiding possible stomach ache. Ginger appears to reduce inflammation in a similar way to aspirin and ibuprofen
- Colon Cancer Prevention.A study at the University of Minnesota found that ginger may slow the growth of colorectal cancer cells.
- Reduce Pain and Inflammation.Ginger contains some of the most potent anti-inflammatory fighting substances known and is a natural powerful painkiller.
- Fights Common Respiratory Problems.If you’re suffering from common respiratory diseases such as a cough, ginger aids in expanding your lungs and loosening up phlegm because it is a natural expectorant that breaks down and removes mucus. That way you can quickly recover from difficulty in breathing.
- Ovarian Cancer Treatment.Ginger powder induces cell death in ovarian cancer cells.
- Strengthens Immunity.Ginger helps improve the immune system. Consuming a little bit ginger a day can help foil potential risk of a stroke by inhibiting fatty deposits from the arteries. It also decreases bacterial infections in the stomach, and helps battle a bad cough and throat irritation.
- Combats Morning Sickness. Ginger has demonstrated a success rate of 75 percent in curing morning sickness and stomach flu.
Skin benefits of ginger
Hair benefits of ginger:
- Hypopigmental (white) scars
- Skin toning
- Radiant skin
- Soothes burns and blisters
- Blemishes and Acne
- Reduces hair loss
- Stimulates hair growth
- Split ends
- Fights dandruff